The Head of the Laboratory – Bishimbayeva Nazira Kozykeevna, Doctor of Biological Sciences, Member Correspondent of National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Bishimbayeva N.K. has been working as a Head of the laboratory since 2005. She graduated from Kazakh State University, biology department (1979), where she was specializing at the department of plant physiology and biochemistry. In 1990, she defended dissertation for Candidate of Biological Sciences degree in specialty “Plant physiology and biochemistry” – 03.00.12. In 2007, she defended Doctorate dissertation in two specialties – “Plant physiology and biochemistry” – 03.00.12 and “Biotechnology” – 03.00.23. In 2013, Bishimbayeva N.K. was selected a corresponding member of National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
She is an expert in physiology and biochemistry, biotechnology and cell biology of plant cultivated cells. Bishimbayeva N.K. is developing scientific direction, targeted to the investigation of cytophysiological regularities of plant cells’ morphogenesis and differentiation in vitro, for the development of biotechnologies of crops’ genetic improvements and creation of bioproducts for biotechnology and agriculture. She, for the first time, identified the important role of programmed cell death (PCD) in hormone- and stress-induced cell responses, consisting in the secreting of substances with high growth-regulative and immune-modulating activity by the cells with signs of PCD. Obtained fundamental knowledge was implemented for the development of genotype independent universal cell technologies that are being used for improvement of important crops and for the obtainment of biostimulators for plant growth and resistance.
Author of over 150 scientific works, including 1 monograph, 67 scientific articles, 2 innovation patents of RK. She has prepared 2 candidates of sciences, 7 masters, 12 bachelor students. Currently there one PhD student and two master students are being prepared.
She is a member of editorial board of scientific journal «Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan, biological and medical series», a member of Dissertation Defense Committee for PhD degree on the “biotechnology”, “biology” and “ecology” specialties, a member of Society of Plant Physiologists of Russia (SPP), a member of Society of Experimental Biology (SEB).
The history of the Laboratory:
The Laboratory of Cell Biology was established in 2005 on the basis of the research group of the Laboratory of Cell Engineering, which, under the leadership of Bishimbayeva N.K., was engaged with the study of cellular mechanisms of morphogenesis and regeneration in plants in vitro. During its work besides the developing the infrastructure for plant tissue and cell culture investigations and histological studies, laboratory has formed the basis for carrying out biochemical, molecular genetic studies and in the area of plant genetic transformation.
Leading country scientists, founders of plant biotechnology in the republic of Kazakhstan, have contributed immensely to the foundation of the laboratory and its main research directions – Academician of NAS of RK Rakhimbayev Izbasar Rakhimbayevich and Doctor of Biological Sciences Karabayev Murat Karabayevich. Doctor of Biological Sciences Rakhimova Elena Vladimirovna made a great contribution to the development of studies dedicated to the ultrastructure of plant cells cultivation in vitro. Academician of NAS of RK Gilmanov Murat Kurmashevich, Doctor of Biological Sciences Dostanova Raushan Khadgigumarovna and Doctor of Chemical Sciences Burasheva Gauhar Shakhmanovna provided great support and assistance in the identification of biologically active substances in plant cell culture. Professor Dostanova has proved expediency of studying salt tolerance at the level of cultured cells, which have provided new information about the cellular mechanisms of cell stress adaptation in vitro. Genetic breeding studies of somaclonal wheat variants, derived from long-cultivated wheat calli tissue, were immensely supported by Academician of NAN of RK Urozaliev Rakhim Almabekovich and Doctor of Biological Sciences Bogdanova Elizaveta Dmitrievna. I.Sh. Shayakhmetova has made a great contribution to the implementation of projects on genetic transformation and to the study of cold resistance of transgenic cotton plants.
The important role in the laboratory’s scientific development has been played by the international co-operation and contribution of foreign scientists. Cytophysiological direction of our laboratory has been supported by great contribution of fundamental works, direct communication, scientific advice and lectures of such famous Soviet scientists as — the founder of the physiology of cultivated plant cells in the USSR — Corresponding Member of Russian Academy of Sciences, Professor R.G. Butenko (Institute of Plant Physiology, RAS, Moscow) and great embryologist, corresponding member of Russian Academy of Sciences, Professor T.B. Batygina (Botanical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg). The development of molecular biology techniques and the establishment of laboratory facilities for plant genetic transformation have been made with the help of scientific advice and staff internships directed by Professor E.S. Piruzyan (Institute of General Genetics, Moscow) and Prof. Amitava Mitra (Nebraska University, Lincoln, USA). Recently, transcriptomic studies has been started by the initiative and under the supervision of Professor A. Mitra. An invaluable contribution to the development of research on the chemistry of biologically active substances played studies that carried out during the courses of scientific training in foreign scientific centers under the guidance of eminent scientists in the field of chemistry of natural products: Dr. Gordon McDougall (Scottish Crop Research Institute, Dundee, Scotland, UK); Professor, D. Sc. Ts.A. Egorov (Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, Moscow); Candidate of Biological Sciences E.A. Gunter (Komi Institute of Physiology, Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (Syktyvkar).
Laboratory staff :
- Bishimbayeva Nazira Kozykeevna — corresponding member of NAS RK, Doctor of Biological Sciences, Head of the Laboratory of Cell Biology.
Tel. +7(727)393-86-69, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amirova Aigul Kuzembayevna – Candidate of Biological Sciences, Leading scientist.
- Mukhitdinova Zinat Rakhymzhanovna — Candidate of Biological Sciences, Senior Researcher.
- Yertayeva Bakhyt Ertaevna — RhD student, Researcher.
- Murtazina Alima Serikzhanovna – Researcher.
- Nurgazina Alina Sadykbekovna – Researcher.
- Parmenova Asel Kuanyshevna – Researcher.
- Begzat Askar Nagiuly — Researcher.
- Қapasuly Tіlek – Researcher.
- Tastan Moldir Sheralyқyzy – Senior laboratory assistant.
- Baimenov Medeu – Trainee researcher.
- Demesinova Saylaugul Duysenovna — Senior laboratory assistant.
- Ikhsanov Erbol, — Trainee researcher.
Strategy of the Laboratory:
Investigation of cytophysiological regularities of plant cells’ morphogenesis and differentiation in vitro for the development of biotechnologies of crops’ genetic improvement and creation of biopreparations of new generation for biotechnology and agriculture.
Main scientific directions of the laboratory:
- Elucidation of morphogenesis regularities in vitro universal for different genotypes (lines, varieties, species) to overcome genotype dependence of plant regeneration process in tissue culture of cereals (wheat barley) and other crops.
- Study of fundamental aspects of cell biology and developmental biology — cytodifferentiation; switching of cell developmental programm on the path of embryoidogenesis; сell mechanisms of the induction and long term maintenance of totipotention in vitro; regulation of cells’ growth, division and death; programmed cell death (PCD) or apoptosis.
- Identification of biologically active extracellular substances secreted during apoptosis and study their role in the intercellular interactions related to morphogenesis and stress adaptation.
- Development of biostimulators of growth and stress resistance with nanomolar activity for biotechnology and agriculture on the base of cell technologies.
- Development of genotype independent cell technologies and protocols of genetic transformation to improve previously recalcitrant to plant regeneration commercially important
- Obtaining of new forms of major crops (wheat, barley, cotton) with economically valuable biological features using the cell technologies and methods of genetic transformation.
Main results of the laboratory:
- We found out, for the first time, that there is a meristematically active tissue type that common to different genotypes of wheat and barley, which under the influence of 2,4-D and stress is capable to switch on the embryoidogenesis and plant regeneration pathway. Analogy between the polypotent cells of this tissue type and stem cells is assumed.
- On this basis, for the first time, we have developed genotype independent long-term plant regeneration cell technology, which are being used for genetic improvement of wheat.
- The cell mechanism of long-term maintenance of totipotency in tissue culture of cereals has been elucidated comprising in the blockage of embryoids development at the stages of 2-8 celled proembryo and globules and their disintegration with the formation of embryogenically competent cells and cells with signs of programmed cell death (PCD). Competent cells re-start embryogenesis to form proembryos which disaggregate again to form a new part of embryogenic cells.
- We obtained priority data about secretion by cells with signs of PCD of biologically active extracellular polysaccharides with high capacity to regulate cells’ growth, division and cytodifferentiation in vitro, as well as to increase their resistance to stress.
- Highly effective biostimulators of growth and plant resistance which increase germination, development, productivity and stress resistance of agricultural crops.
· Significant widening of the spectrum and range of genetic variability of somaclonal lines, obtained by long-term regeneration cell technology, has been revealed compared with the initial variety. It was shown that somaclonal lines showed the considerable improvement in ripening period, plant height, length of main spike, number of grains per ear, grain mass from spike, grains’ colour, shape and colour of glumes. · Cell technology for producing precocious wheat forms has been developed for the first time.· Essentially new forms of precocious spring soft wheat with the complex of economically valuable traits — high productivity, drought-resistance and etc. have been obtained and introduced in the breeding process in the research centers of the North and Central Kazakhstan.· Laboratory staff, for the period of time 2012-2016, have published 49 scientific papers , including : 1 innovative patent of RK , 19 scientific articles (5 abroad , 14 in Kazakhstan ) , 29 theses ( 11 abroad , 18 in Kazakhstan).
Projects and programs (in the last 5 years):
- Innovative project «Obtainment of highly effective biostimulators and plant protection products with nanomolar activity for biotechnology and agriculture on the basis of innovation and achievements in the field of cell biology» (2011-2014.,). Project was funded by National Agency for Technological Development under the Ministry of Industry and New technologies of the RK. The project is completed.
- Grant financed project «The creation of fast-ripening varieties of spring wheat using biotechnology methods» (2011-2014.) which was funded by the MES RK. The project is completed.
- Target Program Funding «Cytophysiologic regularities of plant cell morphogenesis and differentiation in vitro – the fundamental base for innovative biotechnologies for the genetic improvement of plants and for creation of bioproducts of new generation» (2015-2017 гг.) carried out within the framework of sub-program 100 » Target Program Funding » priority «Intellectual potential of the country».
Scientific cooperation with international organizations:
- Nebraska Lincoln University, Lincoln, USA.
- James Hutton Institute, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
- Institute of Plant Physiology RAS, Moscow, Russia.
- Institute of General Genetics, Moscow, Russia.
- Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry at name of academics Shemyakin M.M. and Ovchinnikov U.A. the Russian Academy of Sciences, Federal State Organ of Science, Moscow, Russia.
- Institute of Physiology, Komi Scientific Center of Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Federal State Organ of Science (Institute of Komi SC UB RAS), Syktyvkar, Russia.
Scientific cooperation with national organizations:
- Institute of Botany and Phyto-introduction, under Committee of Science of Ministry of Education and Science of RK (SC MES RK);
- National Biotechnology Center, SC MES RK;
- Kazakh National University, Department of Chemistry;
- Kazakh National Medical University named after S.D. Asfendiyarov.
- Cotton Growing Institute, Ministry of Agriculture of RK, Atakent, South Kazakhstan region.
- JSC «Scientific-Production Center of Agriculture and Plant Breeding» Ministry of Agriculture RK, Almalybak, Kaskelen, Almaty region, Kazakhstan.
- LLС «Karabalyk Agricultural Experimental Station», Kostanay region, Kazakhstan.
- Karaganda Scientific Research Institute of Plant and Breeding, Karaganda region, Kazakhstan.
- LLP «North-Kazakhstan agricultural experimental station», North Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan.
- LLP «Pavlodar Agricultural Research Institute», Pavlodar region, Kazakhstan.
- Zhusupova M. – Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2013 defended graduate work «Determination of protective activity of extracellular polysaccharides from wheat cell culture on technical and agricultural crops growing in stress conditions».
- 2. Kerimhankyzy T. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2013 defended graduate work «Determination of the growth regulative activity of extracellular polysaccharides obtained from wheat cell culture on the growth of agricultural and technical crops».
- Tastan M. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2014 defended graduate work «Investigation of extracellular polysaccharides’ impact on plant resistance to stress factors».
- Nugmetdinova A. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2014 defended graduate work «Optimization of conditions for genetic transformation of domestic cotton varieties.»
- Yertayeva B.E. — PhD student of biological faculty of Kazakh National University named after Al-Farabi defended the report work «Studying of cytophysiologic patterns of morphogenesis of cotton in vitro for creation the recipient genetic transformation systems.»
- Parmenova A.K. – Master student of KazNAU defended in 2015 graduate work «Investigation of physiological impact of extracellular polysaccharides on the growth and tolerance of vegetable and melon crops.» Scientific supervisor – N.K. Bishimbayeva.
- Kazybekova S.K. — Master student of KazNU defended in 2015 graduate work «Investigation of the physicochemical properties of extracellular poly- and oligosaccharides from wheat cell culture» Scientific supervisor – N.K. Bishimbayeva.
- Makash A.T. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2016 defended graduate work «Quantitative and qualitative analysis of extracellular polysaccharides obtained from plant cell cultures», specialty — «Biotechnology».
- Aytzhanova N.N. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2016 defended graduate work «Determination of physiological activity of extracellular substances derived from plants cell culture», specialty — «Biotechnology».
- Sabitova A.M. — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2016 defended graduate work «Cytophysiological features of morphogenesis in cotton tissue culture», specialty — «Biotechnology».
- Nurbakytkyzy A. — — Bachelor student of biological faculty of KazNU named after Al-Farabi in 2016 defended graduate work «Studying of food crops tissue culture morphogenesis», specialty — «Biotechnology».
Major publications for 2012-2015 years.
Bishimbayeva N.K. Somaclonal variation as a source of new forms of wheat with valuable traits // Vestnik KazNU, Biological series, 2012. — V. 55. — №3 — P. 41-46.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Amirova A.K., Parmenova A.K., Shilmanova A., Kasymhan K., Karabayev M.K., Rakhimbayev I.R. Obtaining of valuable wheat forms on the basis of long-term plant regeneration cell technology // Collection of Articles X International Conference » In vitro plant cell biology and biotechnology», October 14-18. — Kazan — 2013. — P. 10-15.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. Study of cell mechanisms of long-term maintenance of totipotency in vitro of cereals // Proceedings of the International Conference «Actual problems of biotechnology, nanotechnology and physical-chemical biology». – Vestnik KazNU, Biological Series. — 2013. — №3 (59). — P. 70-73.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Amirova A.K., Murtazina A.S., McDougall G.J., Rakhimbayev I.R. Extracellular polysaccharides with high growth-regulatory and protective activity from wheat cell culture // Materials of scientific conferences and schools for young scientists «Fundamental and Applied Problems of Modern Plant Experimental Biology». – November 23-27. — Moscow, 2015 — P. 98-102.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Kasymhan K. Parmenova A.K., Amirova A.K., Demesinova S.D., Baimagambetova K.K, Chudinov V.A., Sereda G.A., Gass O.S., Bekenova L.V., Karabayev M.K., Urozaliev R.A., Rakhimbayev I.R. Environmental test of precocity spring soft wheat forms created by cell technology // Materials of scientific conferences and schools for young scientists «Fundamental and Applied Problems of Modern Plant Experimental Biology». – November 23-27. — Moscow, 2015 — P. 103-107.
- 6. Bishimbayeva N.K., Sartbayeva I.A., Gunter E.A. Сhemical composition of polysaccharides isolated from wheat cell culture // International Journal of Biology and Chemistry, Kazakh National University, 2015. — №2. – P. 13-17.
- Kazybekova S.K., Bishimbaeyva N.K., Murtazina A.S., Reinhard Miller, Tazhibayeva S.M. Physico-chemical properties of physiologically active polysaccharides from wheat cell culture // International Journal of Biology and Chemistry, Kazakh National University, 2015. — №2. – P. 18-22.
- Rakhimova E.V., Bishimbayeva N.K., Amirova A.K., Nurgazina A.S. Effect of phytohormones on the structure of cell populations of friable embryogenic callus // Research and results KazNAU. — 2015 – P. 165-173.
- Amirova A.K., Kasymhan K., Baimagambetova K.K., Bishimbayeva N.K. Using allel-specific markers of Ppd Vrn genes for analysis of wheat precocity somaclonal lines // Vestnik KazNU, Biological series, 2015. — T. 1. — №63. — P. 20-25.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Denebayeva M.G. Copyright certificate of preliminary patent of RK №12277 from 03.07.2000 y., Method of obtaining of rapidly growing long-term friable embryogenic callus cultures of barley Hordeum vulgare. Publ. in the official bulletin KIPE «Industrial Property». — 2002. — №12.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Amirova A.K. Copyright certificate of preliminary patent of RK №12743 from 06. 06. 2001. Method of obtaining of long-term friable embryogenic callus cultures of wheat Triticum aestivum. Publ. in the official bulletin KIPE «Industrial Property». – 2003.
- Bishimbayeva N.K., Amirova A.K., Karabayev M.K., Rakhimbayev I.R. Innovation patent №29149 Republic of Kazakhstan «Method of obtaining of wheat embryogenic callus tissues capable for long-term plant regeneration». (Filing date 07.11.2013) is registered in the state registry of 10.20.2014 yy.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — Scientific training at the James Hutton Institute (Dundee, Scotland, UK), in the framework of the international scholarship of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan «Bolashak» in 2012.
- Yertayeva B. E. — Scientific training at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (of Lincoln, Nebraska, United States), in the framework of the scholarship for the passage of foreign training for doctoral studies, 2014.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — Scientific training at the Institute of Physiology, Komi Science Center, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Komi SC UB of RAS) (Syktyvkar, Russia), 2015.
- Ikhsanov E.S. — Junior Researcher, PhD doctoral-scientific internship at the Institute of Physiology, Komi Science Center, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Komi SC UB RAS) (Syktyvkar, Russia), 2015.
- Tastan M. — trainee researcher, graduate student — research fellow at the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry named after Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov, Moscow, Russia.
Honorary academic degrees:
- Bishimbayeva N.K. – Corresponding member of National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan (RK NAS) since 2013.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — A member of the Dissertation Council of Eurasian National University named after Gumilev on specialty 03.00.23 «Biotechnology» since 2014.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. – Since 2016 — member of the editorial board of the «Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan, biological and medical series» scientific journal.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — A member of the Interagency Working Group on the assessment of results of accomplished scientific research work and the development of recommendations for their practical use (2015- 2016).
The honorary scientific awards, scholarships
- Bishimbayeva N.K. – Awarded the State scientific grant for scientists and researchers that are actively involved in the realization of fundamental and applied research in the priority areas for the government, scientific training, 2013.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — Diploma of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan (MES) «For the contribution to the achievements of independent Kazakhstan in the spiritual and social development and in the field of education», 2014 (for IPBB anniversary).
- Bishimbayeva N.K. — Diploma of the National Academy of Sciences of RK «For outstanding achievements in scientific, educational and innovational activities, for the major contribution to the socio-cultural development of the Republic of Kazakhstan», 2016.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. – Honor certificate from the Head of the Institute, «Gratitude for the great achievements in the scientific and organizational and pedagogical activity and contribution to the development of plant biology and biotechnology in Kazakhstan» (for the anniversary).
- Amirova A.K. — Honor certificate from the Head of the Institute «For scientific achievements in the field of plant biology and biotechnology, and active work at the Institute of Plant Biology and Biotechnology (for IPBB anniversary).
Reports presented at conferences.
- a) in CIS countries:
- Bishimbayeva N.K. Investigation of cellular mechanisms of induction and maintenance of long-term totipotency in cereals in vitro // X International Conference «The Biology of plant cells in vitro and biotechnology.» — October 14-18. — Kazan. – 2013. Report: oral, a key report. Co-chair of the section: Molecular-biological, genetic, biochemical, cytological, physiological features of plant cell cultures.
- b) in the Republic of Kazakhstan:
- Bishimbayeva N.K. Investigation of cell mechanisms of the long-term totipotency maintenance in cereals in vitro // International conference «Actual problems of biotechnology, nanotechnology and physical-chemical biology». — November 21-22. — Almaty. – 2013. Report: oral, a key report.
- Amirova A.K. Creation of stable somaclonal wheat lines with valuable economic traits based biotechnology // International conference «Actual problems of biotechnology, nanotechnology and physical-chemical biology». — November 21-22. — Almaty. – 2013. Report: oral.
- Bishimbayeva N.K. The role of programmed cell death in the induction and maintenance of long-term totipotency in cereals in vitro // International scientific conference for Biology and Plant Biotechnology. — 28-30 May. — Almaty. — 2014. P. 366. Report: oral.
The moderator of the section “Physiology and biochemistry of plants”. Subsection 2 “The physiology of productivity”.
- Yertayeva B.E. Optimization of conditions for genetic transformation in planta of the domestic cotton // Section 4. Cellular and genetic engineering «International Scientific Conference on the Biology and Plant Biotechnology.» — Almaty. — 2014. — P. 440. Report: oral.
1) Training is provided annually on the basis of the laboratory. There is an opportunity for training, research-production practice for bachelor and graduate students in biology and biotechnology field.
2) Internships and workshops for interested researchers for studying modern methods of cell engineering and genetic transformation,
3) Genetic improvement of any commercially important varieties of wheat and barley by order – obtainment of precocious, highly productive and drought-resistant forms, using cellular technology developed in the laboratory,
4) Seed treatment of agricultural plants with environmentally friendly plant physiologically active substances to increase germination, yield and resistance to stress factors — selection of optimal doses and treatment methods for the specific type of a crop.
Brand Products :
1. Precocious high-yield wheat lines of R12 ( 4 lines ) and R4 generation ( 51 line) , obtained by the use of cell technology developed in the laboratory.
2. New highly effective bioproducts, that have the ability to stimulate plants’ germination, growth and development and to enhance plants’ resistance to adverse environmental factors (salinity , drought , etc. ) .