- Accelerated creation of new highly productive and stress-resistant forms and varieties of food, fodder, officinal, ornamental and technical plants on the basis of a combination of conventional and biotechnological methods;
- Study on physiological and genetic mechanisms providing high productivity, and plant resistance to stress factors, diseases and pest and subsequent improvement of methods for breeding and approaches for crop cultivation;
- Development of highly effective biotechnologies for microclonal propagation and production of improved planting material; development methods for long-term germoplasm storage of economically important and unique plants;
- Development of biotechnologies to produce of biologically active substances, biopesticides, plant growth, development and resistance regulators for needs of agriculture, environmental protection, the food industry;
- Forming of Data banks in the field of plant biology and biotechnology.
Research work:In accordance with the purpose and activities of the IPBBfor the period 2015-2017, the Institute carried out research within the framework of three scientific priorities of science development («Life Sciences», «Intellectual potential of country», » Rational use of natural resources, processing of raw materials and products»)on 31 projects of grant funding and was the head organization of 3 Republican scientific and technical programs:1) Elaboration of biotechnological fundamentals for engineering and monitoring of genetically modified plants with improved economic-valuable traits ; 2) Genetic diversity and preservation of genetic resources of endemic, rare and industrially important plants in the Republic of Kazakhstan; 3) Cytophysiological regularities of plant cell morphogenesis and differentiation in vitro – the fundamental basis of innovative biotechnologies for the genetic improvement of plants and creation of new generation biopreparates.
Currently, the Institute is the head organization of the scientific and technical program №BR05236574 » The development of advanced technologies to produce crops resistant to stress factors in utilizing adaptive mechanisms of plants» and the executor of 15 grant funding projects (2018-2020) on three scientific priorities of science development: «Life and Health Sciences», «Sustainable development of agriculture and safety of agricultural products», «Rational use of natural resources, including water resources, geology, processing, new materials and technologies, safe products and constructions».